Meet Etsy Shop: Simply Swanky by Ashley

Posted Wednesday, March 19, 2014


Today we would like to introduce you to

Simply Swanky by Ashley has been selling on Etsy since September 2011, they sell lovely clothing for babies and kids, as well as beatiful fabrics for those who want to make their own items! Today they are going to give us a little peak behind the scenes of their Etsy shop.


What motivated you to start your shop?
I started sewing 7 years ago after purchasing a machine to monogram for my 1 year old son and expected niece. I had always enjoyed puzzles, and after using my machine for monogramming I thought maybe sewing would be like putting together a puzzle. I was currently a resident just out of medical school and was looking for a fun creative outlet. I initially would sew for friends and family. My sister-in-law would host home shows for me to display items and take custom orders from her friends. I enjoyed making custom items so much that I decided to open up my Etsy shop.

What is the story behind your shop name?
When I was thinking of the name for my shop I chose Simply Swanky because the items are swanky yet seem very simple.

What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
I never thought I would sell this much or that having an online store could be so much fun. I have really enjoyed all of the new people that I have been able to meet through the shop.

What is your favourite creations from your shop?
I really enjoy baby gift items. The baby layette sets have actually been my most popular items as well.

What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
The most challenging has been the influx of business that is unpredictable. I have a full time job as a physician and continue to sew in my spare creative time. It is difficult to predict how many orders I will have at one given time. With time constraints, the custom orders are the most difficult. I have extended the shop to sell fabric as well. The fabric orders are of course not difficult to fill and it still helps feed my creative needs.

What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
I really enjoy sewing and love the creative outlet. i strive to make each item a little unique and finish it off with a professional look. I double check over each item to ensure the quality is top notch. I have young children so I can understand what it means to have clothes that will hold up to several washes. I work hard to get items out to customers as quickly as possible.

What do you do when you aren't working?
When I am not working in my Etsy shop, I am a mother of two little ones and a wife to a great husband. I am also a Family Medicine physician full time in a local clinic from 7-3. If there's spare time left, I play in a local tennis league.

Simply Swanky by Ashley is offering a 10% discount in their shop. To use the coupon visit her etsy store and enter code "SPRING10" at checkout. Valid until March 30 2014.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...