Meet Etsy Seller Papoose Clothing

Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014



Today we would like to introduce you to
Etsy shop Papoose Clothing

Papoose Clothing has been selling on Etsy since November 2010, she sell handmade beauitful outfits for children, from vintage inspired to creative modern pieces. Today she is sharing a little about her shop and selling handmade items.

Short Sleeve Peplum Dress with Ruffle Bib Autumn Winter 2013 by Papoose Clothing - papooseclothing Customizable Tiered Pom Pom Dress by PapooseClothing - papooseclothing Long Sleeve Peplum Blouse with Peter Pan Collar Autumn Winter 2013 by Papoose Clothing - papooseclothing White and Cream Reversible A-line Top with Front Bow Detail by PapooseClothing - papooseclothing

What motivated you to start your shop?
Three years ago I received the news that my sister was pregnant with her first child, and I wanted to make a few keepsake dresses for my new niece. I delighted in making such miniaturized items and all the dramatic bows and frills that come with designing little girls' clothing that I decided to take the plunge and open a shop on Etsy. It all sounds so much simpler than it really was and still is, but that's the short version!

What is the story behind your shop name?
I loved watching the movie Gidget as a child, and there is one particular scene where some girls insult Gidget by calling her a "papoose." I had never heard of the word before, so strange child that I was, immediately looked it up in the dictionary to figure out what it meant. The word has always stuck with me so when I was thinking of possible store names, it naturally came to mind because it was a favored childhood memory and an appropriate name.

What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
I knew absolutely nothing about running a business when I opened a shop on Etsy, so everything surprised me. I didn't even have business cards; I basically had a shop name and a few sad items for sale. It is such a huge learning experience, and I am still growing and discovering new and better ways at being a small business owner. It takes constant work and determination to grow and get out of the "it's just a hobby, but here's my stuff" phase into a legitimate business you want people to take seriously.

What is your favourite creations from your shop?
I love the Double Ruffle Bloomer Bubble Shorts because they are so darling and sassy. The design is simple but it really packs a punch, and the shorts can easily take your little papoose through all the seasons with the right pair of tights for colder months or wear them alone during hot summer days.

What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
I continue to struggle with the photography aspect because pictures are the only source for potential buyers to make a decision based on looks. The description helps, but pictures can and should relay fabric details, color, fit, feelings and mood, everything. Great photography can really help a store stand out from the crowd, and separating yourself from everyone else and creating your own distinct brand is one of the biggest hurdles when selling on a site that grows daily!

What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
I firmly believe in fostering a child's imagination, and clothing was one of the first areas of my life I vividly remember expressing myself through. I know how it feels to wear the perfect little dress when playing make believe and "putting on a show!" I once gathered "costumes" so I could look just like Laurey scene-for-scene in Rodgers and Hammerstein's Oklahoma! while watching the movie by myself. I want to give your little papoose that same elated feeling and freedom of personal expression through handmade style.

What do you do when you aren't working?
I love to read books and watch old movies, but when I'm with my husband, we compromise and pick a series to watch on Netflix. We've been through several shows and are currently finishing up The X-Files. The show frightened me so badly when I was younger, but now I'm fascinated by all the theories and beliefs they write about.

Anything else you'd like to tell us or share?
I have recently released the Spring Summer 2014 collection, Bayou Bebe. It is inspired by the romance of Cajun Country in south Louisiana with all the mystery and charm of the bayous. This collection has been a love story for me because I grew up in Louisiana so I feel a deeper connection to this line than past inspirations. I hope this relationship is evident in the clothing and speaks to people on a meaningful level, not just superficially. Although I hope people like the clothes for their own design merit, I hope people can understand the thoughts behind it and that I did my part in relaying a story.

SALE Ruffle Neck Tunic Dress with Sash Spring Summer 2013 Collection by Papoose Clothing - papooseclothing Moroccan Blues Sleeveless Peplum Dress Autumn Winter 2013 by Papoose Clothing - papooseclothing Starry Night Long Sleeve Navy Tunic Blouse Autumn Winter 2013 by Papoose Clothing - papooseclothing Brown Vine High Low Ruffle Skirt with Matching Suspenders by Papoose Clothing - papooseclothing

1 comment:

Memories for Life said...

Great interview. It's fun hearing how you got your name and how your business got started. Your little model is just adorable :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...