Meet Etsy Seller Janey's Superette

Posted Wednesday, November 06, 2013



Today we would like to introduce you to
Etsy shop JaneySuperette

Janey's Superette has been selling on Etsy since November 2011, she sell fun illustrations for kids' rooms and nursery wall art. Today she is sharing a little about her shop and selling handmade items.

Girl with ice cream - Illustration print - Summertime art for girl's room or kitchen - 8"x10" - JaneySuperette Whale illustration with initial W for kids room - giclee print 8x10 - JaneySuperette Ballerina Illustration Print for Little Girl's Room - Sweet Ballerina in Pink Tutu - giclee mini-print 7"x9" - JaneySuperette Mouse Tea Party Illustration for Little Girls Room ... Limited Edition 17 x 11 Nursery Wall Art Print - JaneySuperette

What motivated you to start your shop?
I'd been working as a children's illustrator for years - books, magazines, school readers, etc. - and I thought I might find some success in selling my illustrations directly to the end user - kids and their families. I'd found the Etsy model intriguing and really loved the idea that I could have a direct hand in marketing and selling my work, rather than relying on a publisher to do that for me. I finally got serious and set up my shop with only a very few items on my birthday, almost two years ago.

What is the story behind your shop name?
When I was little, my favourite doll was called Janey, and I can't remember why but it's possible it's because my middle name is Jane. My husband calls me Janey. So I thought I'd use that as my alter-ego, and set up a little "superette" where you can buy all sorts of things you either really need, or never knew you needed until you saw it. Of course, having been super busy with everything over the last two years, I'm still only offering one thing in my shop: prints. But I do have plans to expand into other items in the near future!

What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
I guess like most people I'd assumed it would be easy to make LOTS of sales. I believed in what I was selling and that it'd appeal to a wide range of people, so I thought the sales would just.... happen. What I didn't count on was that there is just SO MUCH amazing stuff on Etsy, and it's so easy to see something you love, favourite it, and then move on to the next amazing thing and forget all about it. I didn't realize it would take literally hundreds of views and dozens of favourites - and be included in a whole bunch of treasuries - before making a single sale.

What is your favourite creations from your shop?
At the moment, my favourite piece is my newest:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/158128121/cute-parisian-bunny-illustration-print?ref=shop_home_feat

What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
By far the hardest part is having the time to really make a go of it. I'm always really busy with commissioned work and, well, life. To really market my shop to the point that I'd make anything close to a living from it would take, I think, at least a regular part-time schedule (spending like half of every day). And then you have to maintain that. So my shop remains at the level where it's fun, and I make the occasional sale to supplement my income.
The BEST part of the challenge, though, is the community aspect - being part of teams like EtsyKids, where everyone's in the same boat and you have strength in numbers and great ways to cross promote. Everybody wins!

What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
It's not complicated... it's just making art that makes people smile - especially the little kiddoes. Bright, happy colours and goofy looking animals, and I love throwing a retro twist in there when it makes sense - with vintage type and paper ephemera.
Another important thing is to make prints that will stand the test of time rather than contributing to a disposable culture - so I only use acid-free paper and archival-quality inks.

How would someone (other then you) describe you?
Oh boy. It probably would depend on the person and the day. I think I change a lot depending on the setting. My family would say I work really hard (maybe too hard) and am super calm and dependable (at least I hope they would!) Most of my friends would say I'm a little crazy, and often obnoxious. So, it's a mix.

What do you do when you aren't working?
I spend time with my family - I have a 5-yr-old daughter, who is sweet and fun and never stops talking and loves to draw and paint. The other thing I do a lot is run; I'm currently training for this year's New York marathon. And I love to relax and eat and drink and laugh with friends, whenever I get the chance.

Fairytale illustration print - 8"x10" - Hans Christian Andersen quote with cute garden fairy - JaneySuperette Cute Parisian bunny illustration print - 8"x10" - Rabbit family nursery art - retro type says "L'amour Fou" - JaneySuperette Cute cat illustration print on hot pink - Italian cat says: Miao - Would be great in kids room. Limited edition. - JaneySuperette Illustration print for little girl's room - Ring around the rosy - Children's art 17"x11" - JaneySuperette

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...