Meet Etsy Seller MaiseysDaiseys

Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013


Today we would like to introduce you to Jill
and her Etsy shop MaiseysDaiseys

MaiseysDaiseys has been selling on Etsy since January 2010, they specialize in making lovely paper mache accessories and flower hair bands designed by her daughter. Today she is sharing a little about her shop and selling handmade items.



What motivated you to start your shop? 
My daughter!  Our shop came into being because of her little creative head. When Macy was eight years old, she decided to make some jewelry that she and her friends could wear.  They loved it so much that she kept making more and more.  Most of the beads that she used were daisies, but one day she decided to try making beads out of paper. She started selling this new design at her schools art festival where it was a big hit. The following year, she and I thought her booth needed a little decor to go along with her jewelry, so that's when we made our big paper mache flowers.  We found that buyers of her jewelry loved those flowers too, so we started making them to sell. A short while later she thought ""why not try and put those paper mache flowers on a headband?"" She needed a little help from me, we tried it and it worked! We were so happy!
At this same time, Macy's other passion was dance (and still is).   With the money she made selling the headbands, she decided to put towards dance.  From her sales she has been able to pay for classes, competitions, costumes and workshops.  It continues to this day.  We are so grateful that we created our little shop which ended up being a great source of extra income too!

What is the story behind your shop name?
Because of her success, her little business was now in need of a name.  Her grandparents had nicknamed her "Maisey" playing off her name Macy. It only made sense to name it MaiseysDaiseys because of the combination of the original daisy beads and her nickname. It suites our shop well.

What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
We were most surprised at how the sales immediately took off and all the positive feedback we received.  It is so fabulous to hear how pretty, creative and unique people think our flowers are.  Those wonderful comments mean the world to us and we are so appreciative.

What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
Trying to keep up with the demand.  All our flowers are handmade at the time of  ordering, and if we get a lot of orders at one time, trying to make them quickly can be a little challenging. In the summertime we have a booth at our local "ParkSillySunday Market" every Sunday and the tourist crowds are huge. The demand for our flower headbands is so great, trying to make enough product for the next Sunday can be very overwhelming.   But we are so happy with all of our sales it is worth all of our time and effort.

What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
I think quality has to be the first priority.  I stand behind my product, and want everyone who purchases one of our flowers to be happy with their order.  If they are happy, we are happy and hopefully they will want to purchase from us again.  Communicating with your customer is very important too.  If they have a question about their order, or want something custom made, staying in touch is very important.  Like I say, if your customer is happy, then you are happy too!

How would someone (other then you) describe you?
Creative and hardworking.  I think both together make a great combination.  With hard work comes the reward.  I truly believe that.  Although others might describe me as crazy as I am bent over the dining room table trying to get orders filled while my back is killing me and my hands are so sore I can barely hold my scissors anymore.  I'm sure many Etsy sellers can relate to that!

What do you do when you aren't working?
I love running marathons so you can usually find me out on the roads, and since I live in the mountains you can find me running the trails with my dog.  I also love spending time in bookstores trying to find my next great read.  I could spend hours at a time reading a good book.  But my favorite time is family time.  I love to sit and have hour long chats with my daughters or dinner and a movie with my husband.  Good quality time with my family is very important to me.

Anything else you'd like to tell us or share?
I love being an Etsy seller.  It is a great community of fabulous, talented artists and my daughter and I feel honored to be a part of it.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...