Sensory Activity:: Candy Corn Sensory Seek

Posted Saturday, November 24, 2012



Who doesn't love a good game of hide and seek? Halloween and Thanksgiving are over and I'm sure y'all have some extra candy corn, Indian corn or candy pumpkins left, no? I know I do! Here's a fun way to use it up without eating all that sugar!


Materials::

  • Box/Bag of White Rice (I used just about 2 boxes) 
  • Rubbing Alcohol 
  • Food Coloring (red & yellow) 
  • Large Zip Bag 
  • Sensory Table/Water Table/Bucket/Storage Bin...anything really! 
  • Candy Corn (the yellow, orange & white kind) 
  • Cookie Sheet 

Process::
You will be separating your rice so you can make 2 colors (since the rice is already white, you won't need to do anything to it for the white color...obviously). I'd say I used about 3-4 cups of rice for each color.

To dye the rice, just pour your rice into a zip bag, add a splash of rubbing alcohol and a few drops (I think I used about 8 drops of each color) of food coloring. Close the bag and have either your child or yourself shake it up! I found that to make the orange color it was best to pour the alcohol in a bowl and add the red and yellow first before pouring it into the bag. This gave it an even orange color.






Once you are done coating your rice with the color, spread it out onto a cookie sheet to dry overnight.




Now you can play! Mix the yellow, orange and white rice together in your sensory tub and add the candy corn. Bury the candy corn so it's not visible. You can leave some peaking out for starters.



We used an egg carton to collect all the candy corn Bug found.


She doesn't look too thrilled here, but I promise she was!





Isn't that fun?! Bug certainly thought so!

Like what you see? Come visit my blog Tutus & Tea Parties for more fun with the kiddos and; even some DIYs for you!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...