Meet Etsy Seller PunkyPunkinCreations

Posted Thursday, November 08, 2012

Today we would like to introduce you to Mandy
and her Etsy shop Punky Punkin Creations

Punky Punkin Creations has been selling on Etsy since August 2011, she sells a beautiful range of handmade hair bows, felt clips and headbands for girls! Today she is sharing a little about her shop and selling handmade items.


$2.75

$3.00

$8.50

$3.75
What motivated you to start your shop? 
I gave birth to our youngest in September 2010 and made the decision to take time away from the work force to be a stay at home mom. I had spent the last ten years in corporate sales and marketing, and found that as much as I enjoyed being home full time, I still needed a creative outlet and a way to put my business-mind to some use. I just couldn't find accessories at our local retailers that I really liked (our little one was born with a lot of hair), and I initially started watching YouTube tutorials on making hair bows and instantly fell in love with the craft and all the options.

What is the story behind your shop name?
I have two daughters; the oldest is 15 and the youngest just turned two. Since my oldest was very little I called her Punky because she reminded me of Punky Brewster (really shows my age). She was a little bit of a tom boy, but at a very young age had her own sense of style. She's very creative and artistically talented. The littlest is Punkin, well, because I love pumpkin and the name has just stuck. She is my "girlie-girl". She's dramatic, like a little actress, and loves anything cute. I just knew this name was perfect to describe my shop. I want to offer items to fit any style and personality, and I think the name represents that.

What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
The amount of work it takes to build up a shop and social media following takes a lot of time and commitment, but I never realized just how personally rewarding it would be. It has truly become my passion, and I would love to grow it enough to open a brick and mortar store as well, hopefully by the time my youngest is in elementary school. It has changed my long term goals and I feel like I have begun to find my niche.

What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
Exposure and SEO (Search Engine Optimization). The children's hair accessory category has a lot of really talented sellers, and learning how to "be found" among the thousands of items in the category can me somewhat overwhelming. I try to remain educated and up-to-date, and it is certainly a learning process.

What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
I believe in providing excellent customer service and quality. Anything less than my absolute best is just not acceptable. Call me a perfectionist, or maybe it's the years I spent in sales and customer service, but I truly believe that my work really represents me, and I want to leave my customers with a wonderful experience. I want them to feel like they are getting something special and that will make them smile when they open up their package. That is what drives me.

How would someone (other then you) describe you?
Well, I just asked my husband to answer this one. He says he would describe me as motivated, determined, and focused. He also says I'm stubborn...

What do you do when you aren't working?
What do I do when I'm not working? Is there such a thing? I am constantly busy. I'm a mom to a busy teenager and a toddler, both girls; what could keep a person busier? My husband is also a Major Crimes Detective for a county sheriff's office, and attends college full-time. Our schedules are absolutely crazy, and I have to keep things running smoothly at home. If I am not attending to my responsibilities as a wife, mom, dog mom, homemaker, nurse, teacher, accountant, housekeeper and handy "man" first, my "free time" is put into my business.

Anything else you'd like to tell us or share?
I have so many ideas and plans for where I would like to take my business. I have found it is necessary for me to write them down and to try and prioritize. It is easy for someone with my personality type to get overwhelmed with trying to do everything. Sometimes it helps to take a step back, take a deep breath, and to really evaluate what it is you do best, and how can you do it better. This would be my best piece of advice for anyone that works for themselves. I am in love with the idea of expanding and learning new techniques, and I hope to represent more of that in my shop.

Punky Punkin Creations is offering a 15% discount for our blog readers! To use the coupon, visit her etsy store and enter code 'ETSYKIDS15' at checkout. The voucher is valid until through Friday 16th November 2012.

$8.00

$6.00

$3.75

$2.75

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...