Introducing Kurli•Cues!

Posted Thursday, March 01, 2012

Today we introduce you to Karla from Kurli•Cues

Q: What motivated you to start your shop?
Probably the same reason most people start a business! :) When I became a SAHM, I realized I needed to find some way to contribute to the family finances. I wanted to be able to have "free" money that wasn't necessarily a part of our budget. I've always loved crafty, girly things so making hair accessories seemed like a good fit. At the time, though, my only child was a boy so I started creating for family and friends.

Q: What is the story behind your shop name?
Originally I thought I'd call my business KCreations - using my initials. BUT that domain was already taken and the name in general seemed over used when I did online research. I still wanted to incorporate my initials and didn't want to choose a name that would limit what I could sell. My husband is actually the one who came up with the name ~Kurli•Cues. We were brainstorming one night and the minute he said it, I knew that's what I'd go with. :)

Q: Do you have a favorite Etsy Shop (non-child related)?
I love shopping on Etsy! I've mostly purchased supplies for my business, party supplies, and digital design elements thus far, but have favorited A LOT of jewelry! The most recent shop I HEART is HooplaHoopla.

Q: What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
Aside from the fact that people actually buy what I make?? I had no idea the amount of non-crafting time it would take to create an online presence and maintain my business. But I've developed a new love and appreciation for taking good pictures and learning all the "behind the scenes" computer "stuff"!

Q: What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
I sell hair accessories.... and so do a TON of Etsy sellers, so probably it's most challenging to stand out from the crowd. My kiddos are still little now, so most of ideas shall remain in my head until such a time as they are in school! I also find it a challenge to price competitively without underselling my time and expenses.

Q: What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
I love helping mothers of babies, especially, find solutions that work for their new little one's hair - or lack thereof! Other than that I don't really have any sort of world changing philosophy or motivation behind what I do. I enjoy it and do promise my customers a top quality product that cannot be purchased from mass producers or foreign importers. :)

Q: How would someone (other then you) describe you?
I didn't really know how to answer this so I asked some others! "multi-tasker, creative, passionate about what she believes in, true friend, meticulous, organized, honest and trustworthy" And well, I shouldn't have asked, because now I feel the need to live up to all those descriptions! :)

Q: What music do you have on while you are creating?
I usually work in silence - it's more relaxing but occasionally I will stream my favorite Pandora stations on my TV. At night, I watch TV with my husband while I work.

Q: What do you do when you aren't working?
My other "job" is teaching piano from my home, but when I'm not working I enjoy playing with my kiddos, cleaning and organizing my home, and going on dates with my husband. We are also very heavily involved with various ministries at our church. I also LOVE to read, but don't have much time for that these days.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...