Introducing King Soleil

Posted Thursday, February 02, 2012

Today We Introduce You To EtsyKids Team Member Morgan from King Soleil!

Q:  What motivated you to start your shop?
I taught myself how to crochet as a way to wind down from my day as a stay at home mommy. A cup of tea, some super soft yarn, and a hook is all I needed to sooth my soul. I started making clothing and accesories for myself and my children, and rugs for my house, and realized that I went to bed at night thinking about my next pattern and woke up the next morning rearing to go! King Soleil is a way for me to share what I love to do, and continue being a stay at home mommy to my babies. I couldn't feel more lucky!

Q:  What is the story behind your shop name?
My shop name, King Soleil, is named after the loves of my life and ultimate inspirations; my children, King (Kingston) 16 months, and Soleil, 3 years. Soleil gets a kick out of seeing her name on all my tags and site!

Q:  Do you have a favorite Etsy Shop (non-child related)?
Ouma. I am in LOVE with Ouma. One day I will save up to buy one of her amazingly gorgeous dresses. LOVE.

Q:  What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
I think I was most surprised at how much I would love every aspect of running the shop. Before King Soleil, I didn't even know what a tweet was, or how to write a blog. I didn't know how to set up a facebook page. Now I have all those things and more and even designed my own website! I love promoting, editing my pictures, researching, and above all, creating. I never thought this business could compete with my previous job, as a family and adolescent at-risk counselor. But I honestly feel happier...like this is what I was meant to do. ::smile::

Q:  What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
I have so many ideas, books and books filled with patterns and sketches, and baskets of products, but i just don't have the time to put them all online. Making a product is one thing, photographing, editing, writing up a description, and promoting them all, is quite another. Maybe one day, I will post them all, but then again, by that time I will most likely have twice as many baskets and books filled with ideas. C'est la vie.

Q:  What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
It is all about balance. It is so important to have a sense of balance in one's life, and I use this as an esthetic when designing, above anything else. For instance, when making my rugs, if I want to add a detailed cherry branch with flowers, the rest of the rug is super simple. A rug with no appliques? Uber bright. Same idea as my accessories, keep it modern and simple, but fun and unexpected. Old school embroidery hoop art? Let's add a big mustache. Mix it up, but keep it classic. Balance.

Q:  How would someone (other then you) describe you?
An old soul. At 27, with my 2 babies, curled up on my couch in my little cottage with my crochet hooks and yarn balls scattered around, a steaming cup of tea, and Norah Jones playing in the background, I am in heaven. At age 10, my mother would constantly remind me that she is, in fact, the parent. In high school, I met my now husband. During college at Tulane University in New Orleans, I chose board games, jazz clubs and cajun restaurants over Mardis Gras craziness, well, MOST of the time :)

Q:  What music do you have on while you are creating?
It's either Norah Jones calmess that brings back days of living in Manhattan, or Dirty Heads reggae / rap that reminds me of my beach days living in Hawaii and Miami. Both make me super happy and each set of memories helps inspire different products. Cherry Tree rug? Flower Cowl? Dirty Heads. Modern Dandelion Rug? Snow Bunny Skirt and Cowl? Norah Jones.

Q:  What do you do when you aren't working?
This is kind of a trick question because my two jobs, running King Soleil, and being a mommy never really end. I suppose if I am not crocheting, promoting, or chasing babies, I like to think of my next travel destination, hike, look through house listings (my 5 year goal is to buy a house), and get a foot rub from my super cute husband ::wink wink::

Q:  Anything else you'd like to tell us or share?
Thank you for sharing this little bit of insite into the world of King Soleil and my family. EtsyKids is peachy keen!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...