Introducing Joyfully Sewn Designs!

Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011

Today we introduce you to Sarah from Joyfully Sewn Designs

  • what motivated you to start your shop?
I first started doing custom sewing right after I graduated from high school 12 years ago, but I didn't get started in the world of online selling until the Fall of 2009. Local business had slowed enough for the first time since I started for me to think about possibly trying to sell online. I had a couple friends with Etsy shops, so I thought I would give it a try too, and I'm so glad I did. :)
  • what is the story behind your shop name?
Coming up with a shop name was a challenge! It seemed that every name I tried was already taken. I had thought about doing Sarah Elizabeth Designs, but someone else already had that name. I had to get creative then and come up with more unique names. After several attempts I settled with Joyfully Sewn Designs. I love what I do, and I wanted that reflected in my shop name.
  • do you have a favorite Etsy Shop (non-child related)?
There are way to many wonderful Etsy shops to pick a favorite!! I'd love to be able to purchase from many, many shops! ONE of my favorites though is The Country Sign Shop. We've just been looking for a few more signs like this to put up in our home!
  • what surprised you most about having your own online shop?
When I first started my shop, I had no idea what I was doing or how much work it would involve! It's a whole new world trying to sell your products online! I think one of the things that surprised me most was the concept of having to actually raise my prices so that people would be confident enough to buy! Instead of looking for the cheapest possible price, many online customers looking for handmade items view the price as a gauge of the quality of the work!
  • what do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
Learning SEO, how to promote myself and my work, and trying to learn to market my products have definitely been some of the biggest challenges!
  • what's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
I first started my business after seeing what a need there was for modest feminine girls clothing. The Lord has given me talents, and I want to use those to the best of my ability to serve those around me in a way to honor Him. If I can be a blessing to others with my sewing and bring joy to them, I feel that I've been successful.
  • how would someone (other then you) describe you?
That's a hard one! I don't know... Probably quiet and maybe even shy. Loves to be with children. Sorry, I'm no good at coming up with what people would say about me. :)
  • what music do you have on while you are creating?
Classical music is what I have on the most often. I LOVE listening to WCPE a listener supported station out of North Carolina. You can find it online at www.theclassicalstation.org
  • what do you do when you aren't working?
I love to spend time with my family and friends. I'm the main cook and baker in our family, and I enjoy doing both of those things. I love to read, and I have fun entering all kinds of blog giveaways. I love to be with children too.
  • anything else you'd like to tell us or share?
I've been so blessed by all the help and support I've been given since I first started my shop! If you're just starting out, one of the best things you can do is connect with other sellers, ask questions, and learn from then. It's not easy to sell online, but hard work and patience do pay off!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...