Do You Have an Adrenaline Junkie?

Posted Monday, June 07, 2010

I could say that my 3-year-old is a daredevil, but that doesn't seem to tap into her need for a thrill. In fact, I think it's fair to say that my daughter is an adrenaline junkie.

I never had to childproof the house for Peri, but Ryah on the other hand has been curious from the start. If it can be opened, climbed on, jumped off of, she'll do it. Lately, she's taken to climbing halfway up the stairs and jumping down to the landing with a really loud thump. I don't always catch her doing it and I swear I'm just waiting for her to sprain her ankle or something.

Last weekend, Jim and I took our first big trip without the kids and my in-laws were kind enough to watch the chicklets. They took the girls to the local aquatic center for swimming and good times. Ryah likes to jump off the side of the pool in the deep end and my MIL had to constantly keep tabs on her because she'd just jump in when no one was around. When Pat would pull Ryah up she'd be all smiles and wanted to go again. She even tries to step to the side and jump in next to you so you won't catch her. She loves the thrill of it!

Then this weekend my neighbor was showing Ryah her garden. About 20 minutes later, they both came strolling down to my house and Ryah was carrying something. "Ryah has something to show you." A freakin' garden snake! She just picked it up and started playing with it by whipping it against the ground. By the time I saw it, it was dead. Not sure if she found it that way, but it looked recently dead. I couldn't believe it. After tossing it in the debris bin we asked Ryah if she was scared of spiders and she said, "yes." When asked if she was scared of snakes, she said, "no." Ack!

So, apparently I need to keep a closer eye on my adrenaline junkie or enroll her in a 12 step program. Yup, AA, Adrenaline Anonymous.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...