SAHM is a Four Letter Word

Posted Monday, April 27, 2009


Okay, so it's really a four letter acronym, but whatever, I've got enough going on and I can't be bothered with the petty details.

You know, boy meets girl, they fall in love, get married and live happily ever after. Until someone has the genius idea that maybe "we should have a baby." We delude ourselves to think we'll be the best parents ever and we won't "raise our kids like that." Of course, we're usually eyeing the frazzled mom of 4 who's two year old is throwing an all out kicking and screaming meltdown, while she holds onto her 4 year old and scolds him for hitting his 6 year old brother, and OMG, what did the baby just put in her mouth?! I don't think that was edible.

It's easy when you have one, though, you don't realize it until you have two and by then, it's too late to realize how good you really had it. Damn hindsight. Once you have two, that's double the daycare and you begin to realize that it really isn't worth going to a job you hate only to squander most of your paycheck to keep your kids at someone else's house while you pretend to give a rats ass about those TPS reports. And so, you decide to *gasp* become a stay-at-home-mom. Ugh. Those four words could not have more vomit inducing meaning for me. I think God may have forgotten to give me a maternal instinct and went a little overboard with honesty and snarkiness.

So yes, I am a {gulp} stay-at-home-mom, technically speaking anyway. And it's by far the hardest worst paying job I've ever had. That includes the time I worked concessions at the local movie theatre for $6.50/hr so that people could complain about candy prices and insist I give them a coronary by adding a gallon of extra butter to their popcorn.

Whoever tried to depict the stay-at-home-mom as some couch sitting, soap opera watching, bon-bon eating laze has clearly never done it. And I wish more than anything they'd been right because I feel a little misled. :oP


Originally posted 2/11/09 here

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"And I wish more than anything they'd been right because I feel a little misled" SO true! I work around the clock, between being a SAHM & Business owner, I am constantly on the go. I work MUCH MUCH more now than I did as an Admin. assistant.

Jocelyn The Little LOVE Bug said...

LOVE THIS! SO true. Thanks I am showing my husband this

Atasha said...

Very true! The first time I escaped and left the husband home with the kids, I came back and found him passed out on the sofa. He was all frazzled and later said, "I don't know how you do it"

Renee•Candy Stick Lane said...

Noone has any idea until they do it LOL! LOVED this post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...